Dry Eye Consultation and LipiView Scan
For your first visit, it is very important for our team to gather an accurate picture of your dry eye symptoms. So, before your first visit you should be sure to:
- Not wear contact lenses at least 4 hours prior to the visit
- Not use any artificial tear drops 24 hours prior to the visit
- Not use any eye lid creams or ointments 24 hours prior to the visit
- Not use any oil-based ophthalmic drops e.g. Restasis 24 hours prior to the visit
- Not swim in a chlorinated pool at least 12 hours prior to the visit
- Remove all make up
Following the above recommendations will allow the LipiView Interferometer scan to provide an accurate analysis of the lipid layer and the blink rate. This will help us treat your dry eye symptoms and decide if you are a suitable candidate for the LipiFlow treatment.
LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation Treatment
Prior to the LipiFlow treatment, we will place one drop of a mild anaesthetic in your eye(s). You will then undergo a brief procedure called debridement which is simply to help loosen any debris around the edge of the eyelids. Following the debridement, the LipiFlow treatment will begin.
- You will relax in a reclined chair and, depending on the time elapsed, another anaesthetic drop may be placed in the eye(s) to be treated.
- The eye piece(s) will be gently placed into the eye(s), and you will be asked to close your eyes and keep them gently closed for the treatment.
- Once the piece(s) are in place, the LipiFlow treatment will start and you will begin to feel both warmth and then gentle pressure on your eyelid(s).
- The device has two six-minute cycles. The warming phase, followed by intermittent pulsations, and then constant pressure. Once the first cycle has completed, the second cycle will begin with the warming phase. The different phases of the treatment are necessary to facilitate the removal of blockages from the glands.
On average, patients report little to no pain during treatment. The average pain rating is between 1.3- 1.4 on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the least and 10 being the worst pain you could feel).
Most patients will start to notice the most symptom relief around 4-6 weeks post treatment. This should continue for the year to year and half.
One month after the treatment, we will have you come back to the office to evaluate progress after the treatment is completed.